Monday, October 17, 2011

Mixing LARP and Tabletop

Over the weekend, I got to participate in a tabletop game tied into one of my LARPs. This is a pretty unique aspect to the game (Dying Kingdoms) - a stable of plot staff and trusted players who have been empowered to run small tabletops in between the larger games. This gives players a chance to explore personal plot and pursue personal goals which might not have the time to be addressed at games. Big things which would affect the metaplot are usually saved for large events. But if you want to investigate a mystery which has personal significance to your character, or set something up to appear at a game? Tabletop!

My character didn't have much to do at this tabletop - my presence there was largely a matter of convenience (two of the players invested in this plotline live about two hours south; two more live about two hours north; my apartment was the most convenient meeting place for everyone). We did get to work in a cool hook for my character at the end, but for the most part, I tagged along as a spectator.

Overall, I had a great time. I wish more LARPs integrated tabletops with their larger live-action events. It's logistically challenging, but the payoff, I think, makes it worthwhile in the long run. 

No comments:

Post a Comment